Thursday, January 17, 2008

Recipes: Chili

So, on New Years Day, I made a batch of chili to munch on while we nursed our mild hangovers, at it was pretty good. So I figured I'd post it here.
Maybe I'll add pictures at some point.

I borrowed the recipe from a co-worker. Below is the recipe verbatim. I tend to go heavy on the cumin, and a bit light on the tomato paste. I also top with chopped onions, cheddar cheese, white rice, and/or oyster crackers. You can top with anything you want.

Oh, and if chorizo is not available, any sausage will do (although the spicier the better.) Andouille works well, as well as hot italian sausage, hot links, etc. Experiment and let me know how it goes.

Enjoy!

New Year's Chili

Ingredients:
4 Garlic Cloves - chopped
1 Green Pepper - chopped
1 Red Onion - chopped
1 Large can of diced tomatoes with liquid
1 lb Round Steak - chopped into small pieces
1 lb Pork Roast - chopped into small pieces
1 lb Chorizo (Mexican Sausage) - chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Cumin
4 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 can Red kidney beans
1 can Black beans

In three tablespoons of oil cook sausage, onion, pepper, and garlic about 5 minutes. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside. Add meats (beef and pork) and cook until well browned. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside. Place in large pot, add all ingredients except beans, cover with lid and cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally. Add beans and tomato paste. Cook on low for another 15 minutes.

No comments: