Thursday, December 25, 2008

Tomato Pie

So, I'm spending Xmas with my family, and it turns out my cousin Berto's wife, Kristi ("cousin in law") prepared a Tomato Pie for us. I must admit, I've never had Tomato Pie until tonight, and I figured it makes for a good recipe.
















(It was also suggested bacon can somehow be incorporated into this recipe. That remains as an exercise to the reader. Although I might experiment at some point and see how it goes. Stay tuned.)

Tomato Pie


Ingredients:
8 tomatoes
2 pie crusts (with aluminum pan)
8oz packet of cheddar cheese
8oz packet of mozzarella cheese
1 cup of mayonaise
salt, black pepper, dried oregano

In a pre-heated 400F oven, prebake the pie crusts for 5 minutes, or until lightly brown (not too brown!) Remove from the oven and allow to cool somewhat.

Slice all the tomatoes.

In a deep bowl, mix the cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and mayonnaise.

















In each pie shell, add half the sliced tomatoes, and top with half of the cheese and mayo mix. Add a sprinkle of salt (1 teaspoon?), a pinch of black pepper, and about 1 tablespoon of dried oregano.














Lower the oven temperature to 375F, and bake the pies for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Wait for the pies to cool, serve and enjoy.

No comments: